Thursday, March 26, 2009

Not for the Faint of Heart

Living Room Re-do


Um, yeah. Well you see, it started out fine and dandy in our living room. We thought, "Oh, we'll just paint the room a cheery saffron yellow color"...it was a huge upgrade from the bland boring white that we bought in to. Then we fell in love with this over-the-top midnight navy and HAD to get it up on our dining room walls...formal dining rooms deserve a little drama after all. Then we thought, why not take the wall down between the formal dining room and the formal living room? We just weren't that formal that everything needed to be closed off. We are casual "come-as-you-are" types. So the wall came down and the navy was painted. The navy walls inspired us to rip up the carpet in the dining room, which led to chiseling away the tile in the front entry and powder bath which eventually meant that the laminate wood flooring would need to get out of town. After which we realized that all we did was make a huge mess and the job was bigger than we expected. So a phone call, more ripped up carpet (this time in the formal living room) and two days later, we were the recipients of beautiful sealed and wax concrete floors throughout the downstairs. Beautiful floor-to-ceiling ivory silk dupioni drops found a home in the dining room (thanks Jude and Mom!), my beloved zebra print ventured its way to the feature wall and it finally felt finished.

But wait, there's more...

So after lots of thoughts, color theory in my head (Cabernet purple was beginning to win out) for the living room, more thoughts, discussions with Jason, we decided that the formal living room had become the ugly duckling to our transformed kitchen (thank you Jason!) and the uber-classy/swanky/upscale dining room. Something had to change.

So I present to you, the new "belle of the ball" downstairs, our "formal" living room. She's classy. She's stylish. She's got the ability to hold her head up high to the kitchen and the dining room. And....and....we LOVE it!!

Living Room Re-do


Navy walls are not for the faint of heart. You've got to have guts to go for it and the stamina to paint on primer first and then not one, not two but THREE coats of navy on the walls. You've got to be patient for it to take 6 days to dry before the streaky paint becomes uniform in color. You've got to like the "shock factor" as well when people walk into your home.

Living Room Re-do


What do you think about the flow now from living room to dining room?

Living Room Re-do


Oh and she got new lighting as well. Remember the ugly 80's gold and white fan in here before? The one with the light socket that NEVER would work? The one that made an annoying ringing sound every time you turned the fan on? It's gone forever and we don't miss it one bit. Halogen spots throughout! We even had it wired so the outside 4 were on one dimmer and the inside 4 were on the other dimmer so now we can set the mood no matter the occasion!

Living Room Re-do


On the flip side, we still have a ton of work to do to get it finished. The stair railing is hideous. We continue to debate whether to give the existing railing a make-over until we decide what else we would like (Jason wants a sheet of glass to go down the sides...he's the "glass man" after all) or to just remove the railing and make it look like a modern staircase. Only thing is, doodlebop (aka Lawyer) likes to sprint (and I'm not kidding) from his room, down the stairs and into our bed at 3:00 in the morning and I would be worried about a little 4 year old falling flat on his face in the middle of the night from the top stair. I am not up for 3am visits to the ER.

Living Room Re-Do


We also need to give the fireplace a make-over as well. We were thinking of just removing the panels and replacing the tile but it's still being discussed. Oh and don't adjust the brightness on your monitor, that's really how dark the walls are at night!

Living Room Re-do


The windows? Yeah, in the picture on the left (taking at night), you can't even tell we have windows since the walls are so dark they just blend together. The picture on the right just looks unfinished. So I believe more ivory silk dupioni floor-to-ceiling drapes are needed and perhaps a sheer, I haven't decided yet.

My creation


Here's another picture taken last night...see how dark it is behind the couch? I feel like I'm performing on stage, that's how the lighting and the room makes me feel...very dramatic..."Oh Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo? Deny thy father and refuse thy name or if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love and I'll no longer be a Capulet. Tis but thy name that is my enemy..." I'll stop now. I never was much of a performer. But I do love Romeo and Juliet!

Living Room Re-do


Oh and the true lighting test was how my camera would hold up at night. You see, I don't use a flash...EVER. So I grabbed my camera (which happened to have my 50mm lens) and went to shooting. Now, I did have to bump up the ISO all the way to 1600 and my aperture was wide open at 1.8 BUT the pictures still looked great! I would never have been able to take this picture in the lighter colored room with that hideous fan light without setting up a tripod and the pictures still would have been gross.

Living Room Re-do



Living Room Re-do


Okay so for this wall, we are thinking about going quirky, low-brow (I don't know, would it be considered low-brow? It's not really art, right?) and silly with a giant....

Living Room Re-Do


"W" on the wall. We haven't decided...what do you think? I think it brings the parlor effect down a notch and kind of makes it feel like you would be in some SoHo gallery or some uber-swank boutique hotel lounge...only, I've never been in a SoHo gallery or an uber-swank boutique hotel lounge so I don't even know what I'm talking about.

Living Room Re-do


Oh and just for fun, let's look at my over-the-top entry light again...nothing new here that you haven't seen over a year ago....BUT I'm dying to paint the ceiling maybe the navy or even the Cabernet purple color...I don't care that chocolate brown would be right next to it either. Don't you think it would really set the stage?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok so can I just say I LOVE ya'lls spunk and spirit with regards to paint and decorating! You have even inspired me to get "out of the paint" box! I love that you both have the same vision and aren't afraid to try new things! Who cares it's only paint! I hear you say in my head! WOW your house is so warm and inviting and shocking all in the same breath! I LOVE the "W" on the wall like you show! Very cool and very you! You inspire me! MOM

BeautifulDisaster311 said...

Fantastic work, Amii! And by the way, can I come perform in your living room one day? Haha! ;-)