Thursday, February 12, 2009

Spiced Carrots



Okay, I am not a recipe creator, never have been. I have always been one that you could hand a cookbook, pick out any recipe in it and I could make it. I follow directions easily. So imagine my surprise when I decided to be (ah!) spontaneous with what I had on hand and have a recipe that is my creation!

I had some carrots the other night that I didn't want to go to waste. I searched for something new and interesting in my cookbook collection but found nothing. I did happen to come across a recipe in my new Bon Appetit cookbook (thanks Mom!) that was for Roasted Fennel with Spices. I liked the idea of spices on a root vegetable so I let that recipe be inspiration for an entirely new dish of my own.

Heat the butter and olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.

Add the carrots, sliced on the diagonal (about 1/4 thick slices), to the heated pan.

Add chili powder, ground cinnamon and ground cumin to the carrots. Season liberally with KOSHER salt and fresh ground pepper.

Stir the carrots to evenly coat with the spice mixture. Cover the pan and cook over medium-low for about 15 minutes, or until almost tender (you don't want them to be mushy). After 15 minutes, take the lid off and turn the heat up to medium to medium-high so the carrots can get slightly caramelized, about 5-10 minutes.

While the carrots are caramelizing, put the pine nuts in a DRY saute pan over medium heat for about 5-10 minutes until they are toasted.

When the carrots are finished, add the chopped parsley and the toasted pine nuts to the carrots. Season to taste.


I think this is my new favorite way to make carrots! I've always liked candied carrots but sometimes they can be just a tad too sweet for me. This carrot dish definitely has both a sweet and spicy (not hot, just spiced) side to it!

SPICED CARROTS
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 pounds carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick on the diagonal
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cumin
Salt & Pepper
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley

1) Heat butter and oil in large saute pan over medium heat.

2) Add carrots and spices to heated pan. Season to taste with the salt and pepper.

3) Cover pan with lid and turn heat down to medium-low. Cook the carrots for about 15 minutes or until almost tender.

4) Take the lid off the pan, turn the heat up to medium to medium-high heat and cook carrots until slightly caramelized, about 5-10 minutes.

5) Meanwhile, put pine nuts in a DRY small saute pan over medium heat until toasted, about 5-10 minutes.

6) When carrots are caramelized, add toasted pine nuts and chopped parsley. Season to taste

Approximately 4 servings as a side dish.

No comments: