Thursday, April 24, 2008

Houston, We Have a Palm Tree...


When we bought our house, it was LESS than appealing. It was overgrown and dark and the mosquitoes were in heaven in our damp, dark backyard.

We got in there though and all the overgrown stuff was completely ripped out and removed. All we had left was a VERY shabby homemade retaining wall (if you could call it that) and a beautiful oak tree and my beloved red bud that is the heart and soul of my backyard (this tree was the "piece de resistance" in making me want to buy this house...no joke).

Well, after a friend of ours, who is a Landscape Architect, began to help us out, our backyard has been transformed into a very inviting and wonderful place to be. We haven't gotten our plants in or had the waterfall put in just yet, but I think it is beautiful all the same. And look at our palm tree...ah, this is definitely going to be my backyard paradise, I just know it.

Here are some pics of the desolate, depressing and delightful (don't you just love alliteration?).
Now that's depressing...
Oh, there's hope for the backyard, yet!
Uh, never mind...
Nice practical joke. Who put the freaking lake in my backyard (PS I do have a pool beneath the murky pond water)...
That's what I call a nice retaining wall...I can already see the banana palms that will be in it soon...
Could this be my ray of hope?
Backyard being prepared for...
Grass and some nice curves!
Yay, fresh top soil and a 7 foot tall palm tree!
Nice palm tree...
Quick, somebody order me up a margarita and a hammock!

Look for another installment of "A Backyard in the Making"...it will be good!

1 comment:

Live.Love.Eat said...

OMG. those are some great photos, with the rain over the pool like that. My mouth dropped because I thought your pool disappeared at first. Isn't it sooo nice to have a pool without a screen. I'm in FL without a screened pool and I love it because it's more tropical. I have always loved looking at pics of people's pools. Weird...